Natural mom tips for firm skin after delivery
You expect your tummy to be back to normal by your 6-week postpartum checkup after your delivery. However unfortunately, you find that you end up with some loose skin and belly flab. Don’t worry, with the right tips and hard work, you can get your tummy back in shape while getting rid of the loose skin where your tummy once was.
- You need to lose body fat to make your belly firm. However you need to lose weight slowly as quick weight loss only adds to the problem of loose skin. Moreover, you lose both muscle and fat if you lose weight quickly. You need muscle to keep your stomach in shape while your skin needs time to adjust to its new shape on losing weight. Ideally, you need to lose 1-2 pounds a week.
- It’s not possible to burn fat in only one part of your body; you burn fat all over. However if you want to get your tummy back into shape, cardio exercises help. Aim to do some cardio at least 20 minutes a day for 3-5 days a week.
- You need proteins to build muscle and for its nutrients like collagen which helps your skin. The amount of protein your body requires depends on your weight and the amount of physical activity and strength training you do. Women generally need 50gms of protein a day, and more if you are more active.
- Lotions containing collagen and vitamins E, A, C and K help firm loose skin. Massage it in to improve blood flow to the area which in turn helps your skin look firmer. It’s better if you massage your lotion to your loose skin once or twice a day.
- Strength training improves your body’s overall muscle tone to give you more lean muscle. This is necessary as the more muscles you have, the more calories your body burns. Moreover, strength training improves your body’s lean muscle to body fat percentage which helps reduce fat all over your body.
- Exfoliate your belly every time you shower. It helps improve circulation and generate healthier and more elastic skin.
- Drink more water as water hydrates your skin to make it more elastic, and help your body burn more calories. It also reduces water retention in the belly region to make the loose skin less noticeable.
- Though most women do crunches to get back in shape, they are not enough to tighten the lose skin. Planks are a better option as you need to suck your tummy in and hold it tight while doing them. This does wonders to your belly. Start with just 2 or 3 planks, holding each for 15 seconds. Work up to 30 seconds and 1 minute planks for best and quicker results.